Friday 30 January 2009

Identities: 3D Avatar Diary (Frenzoo) - Day 1 (Read Previous Blog First!)

Okaay, I just had a look at the website, and I'm already pretty impressed with what I'm seeing. The website is still in it's beta stages, but there is still a fair bit you can do at the moment, and as I am chatting to Simon now, he's saying they do have big stuff planned for its future! It's a pretty wicked feeling to be part of a huge website/game project that's still in development, I love things like this as I find great joy in see how they develop over time, which is also something I do with my own skills, I remake my old videos in the future to see how much I'm improved and so on.
As you can see in the screenshot above, I immediately decided to create my own "Ztylist" on the site, and what you see there, is the default avatar you get before you customise it. Just before I started work on customing my character's clothes, Simon recommended that I should try creating my own clothes from my character instead and he also showed me a custom shirt he had made, using textures from a recent video game called Street Fighter IV.

As you can see in the screenshots above, that is Simon's character with the Street Fighter design on, but unfortunately, you have to upgrade to a VIP account in order to be able to add any textures of your own onto your clothes. I decided to give the clothes creation system a try anyways, as I would prefer to have my own designs rather than premade ones to wear.

As you can see in the screenshot above, this is the shirt design creator on Frenzoo. Along the bottom of the editor where the green area is, these are premade graphics that you can use to make your shirt with. There are 3 parts to a shirt that you can edit: Pattern, Detail and Cut. There is a Advanced tab too which is only for VIP members, and Im guessing it involves the ability to upload any texture you want. In the light reddish area on the left, you can edit the variables of the graphic, such as width, height and rotation.

Being a massive fan of flame designs on clothes and such, I set out to create my own flame design on my shirt anyways.

Using a seaweed graphic from the preset list, I got creative and decided to clone the graphic a fair few times, and thus resizing and flipping some of clones horizontally to create the flames you can see in the screenshot above. I didn't know at the time that there were premade flame graphics, so I could have saved myself some hassle, but I did like how I thought on the spot and made best of what I had, which is a vital skill to have.
Eventually, I did discover the flame graphics, but instead of getting rid of the flame that I created using the seaweed graphic, I decided to add them alongside on the shirt as well.


This is my shirt with the premade flame graphics added on. I quite liked the idea of having flames circling the bottom of the shirt, which is similar to some shirts I used to own and kinda gives them impression of the shirt being on fire. On the back as you can see on the blueprint, I've also added some flames on there too to fill up the space anyways.

With the clothes editor, the Pattern tab will of course let you create patterns on the shirt, so any graphis that you choose, will automatically be resized and duplicated in the style of a normal pattern onto the shirt. The Detail tab lets you edit the graphic as a proper item onto the shirt like what I did with the seaweed graphic to produce the flames, hence it basically lets you place and edit your graphic on the shirt. And the Cut tab lets you cut away parts of the clothing depending on the shape of the graphic, e.g. a crescent moon or a star graphicused on this tab will cut out a crescent or star shape on the shirt and thus showing a bit of skin. This is something which will probably used more for feminine clothes of course, but I think I could see it being used jeans somehow.


After the shirt had been made, I decided to see what hairstyles I could get for my character. Unfortunately, due to being the site still in it's beta stages and thus new, the catalalogue was a fair bit bare of clothes, hairstlyes and the like. Therefore, I just opted for a plain blue hairstyle for now, as you cannot get red or blue spikey hair yet as far as I know.

Moving on, I decided to design myself a pair of jeans to wear, with a flame them too, hence I decided to create a range for my clothes called "Raging Inferno".

I love how my jeans turned out anyways, particularly the red flames at the bottom of them, I feel that they do look pretty awesome, even I must say so myself lol. After making them, I moved on to designing the boots for my new range, which soon turned out to be a big problem...


Notice anything missing in the above picture? Yep, that's the problem right there. Apparently as I discovered from Simon, you cannot wear these boots with jeans -_-'... After getting a bit annoyed at that, I tried to rectify the issue by designing some trainers instead...(In retrospect, it was yet another mistake for me). Before that though, I decided to make my character wear the shorts that he started off with to save him any prolong embarassment...poor fella.


Thankfully, as I found out, the shorts can be worn with both boots and trainers, hench I'm free to wear either of them now.


And now in the screenshot below, you can see the current outfit for my character due to the current limitations and issues with Frenzoo. I will speak to Simon about resolving this issue with the jeans as I would like to be able to wear them with shoes, and I also will eventually change my hairstyle once a wide range of spikey hairstyles are available.

I'm gonna call it a day from here anyways though, but i'll continue to post entries on my experiences on here, especially with what happens as the site develops furthers and so on.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Heya, nice post!! Great to see how u think of the site as it develops ^_^ Keep up the great blogging...

Simon said...

Oh by the way, we're probably going to change it so you can wear the pants at same time as the boots and shoes...