Sunday 25 January 2009

Rising From The Ashes Like A Phoenix (Wright)

A couple of blogs ago, I mentioned a Youtube related incident involving my video tributes to the Phoenix Wrong spoof series, but I said I would explain what happened in a future blog, hence that is what I am going to do now.

Anyways, the whole shebang started with me logging into my Youtube account a few days ago, only to discover one of my videos has suddenly had it's audio removed due to a copyright claim. If that wasn't bad enough, I checked on the rest of my videos, only to find the 7th video removed for the same reason! The same people who made the complaint about my 3rd video over the Sailor Moon (oh yes) sketch UMG, complained about my 7th video too. This is not the first time it's happened to me, especially since I used to make parodies of anime shows, but it greatly distressed me more than ever this time. The main reasons were that I worked really hard on this series, and I was hoping for it to stay on there without any problems, as well as the fact that I use the same account to upload all the videos for my university work. Hence if my account got suspended, I would have lost all the video links that I used for all pieces of work, and it would have caused me fairly unbearable stress, hassle and grief.

I didn't want Youtube to get the better of me though, especially since I'm so passionate about this series, it's one of the first and only things I'm good at, and it makes hundreds of people laugh! I set to work devising an alternate method of publishing my work, and then it hit me...Newgrounds! Newgrounds is a Flash and Audio sharing website dedicated to hosting Flash and Audio submissions by people and sharing them with millions of other people worldwide, a lot like Youtube in face. But here's a very critical difference, it's completely fan-based unlike Youtube, so I will not have to worry about petty, selfish corporations attacking me for my work on there, its a safe haven for people like me.

I also discovered the Phoenix Wrong series on there, and it's a site I've been using for many years now. The reason I did not submit my work to there instead of Youtube is (as I've mentioned before), because of my lack of skills with and also reluctance to learn Macromedia Flash at the time. I do regret it now, as it could have saved me so much hassle, grief and so on, if I had put in the time back then to learn it, as things could have turned a lot differently for me now. Anyways, like my other mistakes from my past, I'm solely determined to redeem what I did, and set it straight, which yet again, taking this course is really helpful for me.

I pulled off all my videos except the ones for my course off Youtube anyways, and I posted a new video detailing to my fans what had happened to me, how to keep in touch with me and to continue seeing my work and so on. The video generated a lot of controversy with my fans, and I received a lot of positive responses from my fans saying how heartbroken they were that this had happened to me, as well as support with what's happened, where I can be found now (the new website), and also their Youtube related horror stories. Here is the video for you to see anyways, although it just echoes what I already have said:


Unfortunately, I cannot show you the content of the personal messages I received on Youtube, but I think you can get a general idea of the response of my fans from the comments on the video. My fans have been really supportive me of anyways, and it's thanks to them, I'm still making Phoenix Wrongs now and still finding the courage to do it as well, despite the situation.

1 comment:

Sharon Edrote said...

Hello guys! Check our website YourListen.com is Audio Sharing Website where you can upload, share, and download for free!!!