Wednesday 11 February 2009

My Favourite Music Videos: Nickelback - Savin' Me



I was thinking about the video to this song earlier, and I remembered how much I love it actually. I love the actual concept of the video, basically it starts off with a man walking down a street on his phone, and about to cross a street, when all of a sudden, he gets dragged away with strong force by a nearby man who appears to be homeless. Literally just as he pulled the main guy away, a bus comes speeding fast like it's out of the film Speed or something...After that, the main character walks away but soon discovers something odd, which isn't revealed till later in the video. At the moment, it just shows him with a puzzled expression everytime he sees someone, and he tries to swipe at something above their heads much to their alarm.

After sitting next to a woman at a bench, it's revealed what has been bothering him, he can see timers counting down at a regular pace above everyone's heads, which immediately gives the impression that it probably is how long they have to live in this world. This soon turns out to be the right assumption as the man comes across a scene of an accident, with an elderly woman being lifted into an ambulance on a stretcher. Upon looking at her directly as she enters the ambulance, he notices her timer moving down a lot faster than usual, and it shows the timer ticking down 5 seconds until it reaches 0, where her eyes close and I think you can figure out what happened there.

Alarmed by the sight of the woman dying and being unable to save her, he runs away from the scene, and walks down another street trying to clear his head whilst still being "cursed" with this new ability of his. Just when he has given up on trying to make sense of the ability and what good it could do, he notices another woman approaching her car and suddenly discovers her timer is dropping fast with only like 7 seconds roughly left on it, without thinking twice, he runs towards her and pulls her form the car, only for...well why spoil the ending? It's pretty damn shocking what could have happened to her just then!

The part I loved the most, was how it ended actually because what that guy did right at the end, is what that homeless guy did for him at the start...saved his life! I just thought it was brilliant how they brought back what happened at the start, but made it appear to have a cycle style effect, where the homeless man's destiny up till that point because the destiny of the guy he saved, and thus now this woman will end up having the same destiny...to save someone's life before it's too late!

Obviously, seeing how long other people have to live is not something that would be easy to live with, imagine trying to comfort a loved one who is fatally ill and you know that death will be coming for them soon, but you cannot tell them? To me, this video sends out such strong postive and negative messages alike, and has a kind of feeling to it, most music videos and maybe films and such cannot hope to have! As said just now, having this ability can have such negative impacts on your mentality, but the important thing is, not to think of it as a curse at all, but as a gift from God! Instead of worrying about who is going to die soon and how to avoid showing that you know to them, how about trying to save an innocent life instead which does not deserve to be taken yet?

As life will teach you though, you cannot save everyone, but as I like to think, it doesn't mean you can't try your best to! If I had this ability, I'd definitely try to save as many people as I could, but then again, the damage of failing and seeing someone die in front of you, could be likely to induce permanent trauma! I do love the thought of being able to save lives though, it's something I've always wanted to do, but I've always also felt incapable of doing for many reasons, hence that is one of the reasons why I love this video so much, it enables me to see what it would be like if I could save lives, if I could make a difference! Another reason too, is that I've seen a fair few deaths in my time, I've not always seen the deaths myself, but I've had to deal with deaths of both innocent people and animals, as well as losses of the odd family member too as well.

Anyways, I hope after what I said there, you can gain an understand of why I'm so personally attached to the video, and what it means to me anyways. This song does feature in my list of mysongs that Icannto live without, and now you know why ultimately, thanks to the video. If you don't mind, I would like to hear your opinions on seeing this video neways, and how it made you feel and such. Please no silly comments or anything, I'll only accept sensible ones, and I'll also compare how you feel to how I do and see if we can agree on anything, cheers.

No comments: