Friday 13 February 2009

Back To The Drawing Board

In a recent seminar I had, I gained a strong amount of inspiration for my Identities interactive box project, as well as rediscovering my love for drawing. The reason for me being enthusiasic about drawing all over again is due to using a graphic tablet properly for the first time! I was so impressed after using one in the seminar, that I immediately decided to go out and get one, which I did :P. Thanks to eBay, I got the same graphics tablet that I used for a mere £50, when the usual price is like £80!!. The graphics tablet is called Bamboo (Eastern Asian style name woot!^^), and it's by a famous brand called Wacom.

It's a pretty nice looking tablet and as you can see, it matches the colour scheme perfectly of a pc with black, silver and blue colours, which is what I so happen to have. The blue part comes from the embedded lights anyways. The tablet is really fantastic to use anyways, it picks up the pen so well, and the smoothness of your drawing and the recognition is brilliant in a word. I'm already becoming quite accustomed to it, only receiving it earlier this week! It's super easy to set up too, you literally just plug it it in and it autoinstalls, but if it doesn't, there's always the traditional method. Combining this tablet with some software I bought called Manga Studio, drawing has become a real enjoyment for me, and I try to aim to draw something every day now, I enjoy it that much!

Anyways, on with the real purpose of this blog which is to showcase the drawings I've already done with this tablet anyhoo. Without further ado, here they are in all their glory in chronological order:

This first drawing is of Dr Zoidberg, a character from the cartoon series Futurama. I did some random photo manipulation when I was younger, and for some odd reason, I wanted to make Zoidberg look evil, so I warped the picture to make it look like he had horns, and put flames behind him. I ended up drawing the picture myself later on too for some odd reason anyways, and then I scanned it into my pc to edit in Manga Studio recently. As you can see above, that is the drawing after I went over it with the pen tool in Manga Studio using my graphics tablet anyhoo. I literally made this drawing straight after getting the tablet, so not exactly a bad effort even I do say so myself ;D.


Moving on, this is the very first manga style drawing I did. I recently redrew it in my sketchbook lately, my new sketchbook is A4 in size, so I can finally scan my work in now, the previous one was A3 which made drawing an nightmare too. Anyhoo, this the drawing after I scanned it in and re-inked it in Manga Studio. I forgot to get rid of the construction lines, but I can always do that any time. This character is the first face you draw in one of the manga drawing books I own anyways.

Drawing number 3, and we have the Old Man Sensei (brilliant name :P) character from a game I got recently called Ninjatown (which I may blog about in the future). I love the art style of the game so much, I had to draw my favourite character from it neways, and it's turned out pretty damn well, I know I traced over the original picture, but to have done that with a graphics tablet, which I have next to no experience with, it's really impressive for me! Don't why I drew it in blue by the way, I dont know either to be honest XD.

Moving on, we have my drawing of a "Raving Rabbid" from the Rayman Raving Rabbids game series by UbiSoft, which I am an extreme fan of, and then some. Again, the drawing's turned out so brilliantly neways, I've shown this drawing as well as the previous ones to friends, and they were all really impressed even though they are amazing artists themselves!



My next drawing is of an adorable as hell character called Tama-Chan, from the anime and manga series, Love Hina. Tama-Chan is a flying turtle who ends up turning up in the oddest places, at the weirdest times and doing all sorts of random things, and I really enjoyed drawing her like the other drawings I did before too.

Finally, we get to the drawing that I literally did like half and hour ago! This one is of Sonic the Hedgehog (if you dont know who that is, I may have to hurt you [metaphorically of course]), and he's a character that I've always admired since the golden age of like 5 or 6 years old, to this very day. He's one of the most important aspects of the personality, and hence I had to do him some justice by drawing him lol. The original drawing I did of him which was my 2nd proper drawing and done in full A3 size, was one of the best drawings I've ever done, especially since I copied what I saw, not traced it! It actually looked almost exactly like this to be honest, I did myself proud with that one.

Anyways, those are my drawings with the tablet so far, pelase feel free to give me any sensible feedback or tips on them, and I will continue to do blogs on them as I do more, I may even do weekly blogs on them depending on how things go.

No comments: