Tuesday 3 March 2009

My All New Logo

In order to develop my logo for my Identities project and personal work too, I originally started with Macromedia Fireworks CS4, but I eventually ended up creating the newer designs in a program called "The G.I.M.P."
The definitive nickname I want to go by for both my university work and my personal projects is: "Krazy Kakashiii", and hence I chose to base the design of my logo around this moniker as much as possible. I started out in Fireworks developing the text part of the logo, I experimented with some premade effects and textures to develop the logo, and ended up making quite a few different designs as a result.






As you can see above, I ended up creating logos with very different styles to one another. I was hoping to have a blue or green colour scheme, as they are my favourite colours and also, green is often associated with both the characters used in my existing logo. Hence, even though I do prefer the colour blue, I'm swinging more towards using green actually, as I feel it will blend and correspond with Tama-Chan and Kakashi due to their colour schemes. To be honest as well, green is definitely looking better than blue does with these logos so it would be good to have a logo based on several shades of green.

Looking back over the previous designs, I found the light blue one that I made with the "Hobo" was the most ideal font for my logo and was the one I felt most comfortable ad pleased with. I love how the shadow and highlight are used to make it stand out like that, it's something I enjoy adding onto text when I working in GIMP.





Anyways as you can see above, I set to work developing the final version of the logo text using said font. I decided to focus on a blue and green colour schemes as you can see here, but I also gave orange a try as a part of a very random whim. The bottom most logo is the one that I'm happiest with, and is the one I chose to use as part of my logo. Since I have sorted out the text part of my logo, all that is left to do is create the background/graphics for the logo and it will be complete. Ideally as I found out from a friend, the best thing to have done here, was to create the background for the logo in Adobe Illustrator BEFORE creating the text in Fireworks, as if you make the text in Fireworks first and export it, you can't really edit it easily in Illustrator, hence you lose a lot of freedom with the design of it that way.
So instead of using Illustrator, I decided to use GIMP instead as I'm a lot more comfortable with it and it means I can easily work on the logo from home. I set work developing a range of new designs for the logo neways featuring several different background in them, which I shall show now:


As evident from the pictures above, I created quite a lot of different designs for the logo, but my personal favourites from them are the Africa one and the one with a Geisha woman holding a Japanese umbrella. I was going to use one of them for my logo, until I came up with my newest idea...


I decided to sketch the picture I originally made for my existing logo, and make the sketch into a new logo! As you can see above, that is the logo I made after sketching the characters and colouring them in and then fitting the text on as well. The first version of this I made has no background, but I included a background on this to make it stand out better. I really like this logo actually, and I am going to use it as well as my final logo, but then again I'm still tempted to use the Japanese Umbrella one alongside this one too as a secondary logo. If anyone could give me their opinions on the logos and which one to choose, I'd very grateful :P.

No comments: