Sunday 28 December 2008

Identities: My 3D Avatar Diary - Day 1

Day 1:
I found myself unable to run Second Life from my home computer due to an incomptaible graphics card, hence I was faced with quite a dilemma. I didn't want to use World of Warcraft as it meant paying a montly fee which is something I can't afford now as I'm low on money. Thinking of my past experiences with online gaming (which isn't much to be honest), I was faced with having to return to a game I abandoned a long time ago...Runescape.
Going back to it now, it's just as "fun" to play with as it was back then. The biggest problem with Runescape I've felt is the fact if you are "inactive" for a fairly short amount of time, it automatically logs you out, which it's already done to me a few times, as I try to write this blog alongside playing it. The character creation options are very basic too, you can only customise the hairstyles, facial hair, torso, wrists (which has next to no efffect), legs and feet. Sure you do get to customise al the important factors, but the range of options themselves such as available hairstyles is a bit too limited for my liking, and the colours you can pick do need some more shades, as most of the current ones are too bright.




In this screenshot above, I have made my character now, and he's been plonked onto the start of Tutorial Island. Unfortunately with this game being so basic (Im not sure how advanced the Members version is), my character ends up with lacking a lot of detail as you can. I cannot zoom in on him as well, so I had to provide ascreenshot like this I'm afraid, but I have circled who my character is.

This character is a rough example of how I would love to look if I had the choice. I love the mixture of orange, red and yellow to create a firey look, and as you can see, I do love blue hair as well. Due to a very limited range of available clothes, this is nowhere near as detailed as how I imagine my ideal self to be, but I suppose it will do for now.

I will try to create a separate diary for another online game like Second Life or something similar, which has a much more detailed avatar creation system, but as for now I will document a basic diary using Runescape until I find a suitable game.








No comments: